On October 28, JSPS Alumni Association of the Philippines (JAAP) organized the 3rd JAAP International Research and Development Conference -Harnessing Science and Technology Beyond the New Normal-.
(You can see the program at here)
This conference took place on the third day of the 1st CLSU International Virtual Conference, which will be held by Central Luzon State University during October 26-28. Its theme was “Rekindling the Knots of International Partnerships Towards the New Era in Higher Education.”
In the beginning of the conference, opening/welcome remarks and messages were delivered by the host and the guests, as follows.
– Dr. Leah J. Buendia, Assistant Secretary for International Cooperation, Department of Science and Technology (DOST) / JAAP Advisor
– Dr. Yoshio Otani, Director of JSPS Bangkok Office
The conference was divided into two parts; morning and afternoon session.
The part of the morning was started with a presentation by a Plenary Speaker, Prof. Dr. Hikari Ishido from Chiba University, Japan, entitled as “International Educational Partnership beyond the New Normal: An Economist’s Viewpoint.”
In the following paper session, three researchers had a presentation as below, respectively.
1. “Developing sustainable polymers towards a green economy”, Dr. Roberto M. Malaluan (JAAP, MSU-IIT)
2. “Accelerated Biodegradable Recycling to Address the 5/17 SDGs”, ASEAN Engr. Eulalio C. Creencia (JAAP, MSU-IIT)
3. “Re-engineering the Agricultural Environment for Whole-Year-Round Production of High Value Crops in the Lowland Tropics”, Dr. Ireneo Agulto (JAAP, CLSU (retired))
The part of the afternoon was started with a presentation by a Plenary Speaker, Dr. John Solomon Maninang, Project Assistant Professor from University of Tokyo, Japan, entitled as “Academic, but not moot: The classroom and field applications of the Nobel Prize-winning Novel Weapons Hypothesis in plant-plant interactions.”
In the following paper session, five researchers had a presentation as below, respectively.
1. “Application of nanotechnology for sustainable aquaculture operation”, Dr. Karl Marx A. Quiazon (JAAP, CLSU)
2. “Effects of shapes and sizes on the Surface Plasmon Resonance of Green synthesized Gold nanoparticles”, Dr. Arnold C. Alguno (JAAP, MSU-IIT)
3. “Food Authenticity and Traceability Using Nuclear and Isotope Analyses”, Dr. Angel Bautista VII (DOST PNRI)
4. “Marine plastic pollution in Mindanao and Palawan: Is sachet economy killingour coastal ecosystem?”, Dr. Hernando P. Bacosa (JAAP, MSU-IIT)
5. “Properties and Utilization of Young-age Falcata (Paraserianthes falcataria) for Veneer Production”, Dr. Marina Alipon (JAAP, DOST-FPRDI)
In the Q&A session after presentations, a lot of questions were made by the audience. It explains that their research theme is interested socially and there is an expectation for the new style of the research and higher education under the Covid-19 pandemic.
This conference was streamed at zoom as well as at JAAP Facebook Page. It successfully ended with many participants.