On November 9, 2017, JSPS Bangkok Office joined “Japan Graduates Symposium (JGS) 2017” as a part of “Japan Day”, sponsored by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology (MJIIT).
They hold Japanese cultural activities once a year and this year is event the biggest as “Japan Day” which commemorate the 60th anniversary of Japan-Malaysia Diplomatic Relations, in cooperation with Japanese industry and government organizations of both countries.
In the opening ceremony of Japan day, Prof. Datuk Ir. Dr. Wahid Omar, Vice Chancellor of UTM, Mr. Toshihiko Todokoro, President, Japanese Chamber of Trade & Industry, Malaysia (JACTIM), delivered opening speeches respectively.
Then, Prof. Ulung Datuk Dr. Shamsul Amri Baharuddin who have been Kyoto University delivered keynote speech.
Also His Excellency Dr. Makio Miyagawa, Ambassador of Japan to Malaysia and YB Dato’ Seri Idris Bin Jusoh delivered opening remarks.
Before and after the ceremony, Japanese Martial Arts “Karate” and “Sumo” were performed by Nippon Budokan, and MOU Signing ceremony was held as well.
In the “Japan Graduates Symposium (JGS) 2017”, Prof. Yamashita , Director of JSPS Bangkok Office, introduced Japanese Science and Technology Policy as a special speaker with Mr. Ichiro Kuronuma, First Secretary, Embassy of Japan in Malaysia and Mr. Masaki Sato, Director, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Singapore Office.
Afterwards, 2 panel discussion was conducted under the theme of research collaboration of both counties. Prof. Yamashita introduced JSPS international programs and our activities as a panelist.
The Panelists are below.
Panelist Session 1: Malaysia-Japan Network: Way Forward
Moderator: Prof. Dato’ Dr. Halimah Badioze Zaman, Institute of Visual Informatics, National University of Malaysia (UKM), Head, Cluster of Information Technology and Communication, MPN
1. Mr. Akira Kajita, Managing Director, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) Kuala Lumpur
2. Dr. Raslan Ahmad, Senior Vice President, Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT)
3. Mr. Zulfiqar Zainuddin, President, Alumni Look East Policy Society (ALEPS)
Panelist Session 2: Malaysia-Japan Network: Research Collaboration
Moderator: Prof. Datuk Dr. Khairuddin Ab Hamid, Vice Chancellor University Malaysia of Computer Science & Engineering (UniMy), Cluster of Information Technology and Communication, MPN
1. Prof. Kuniaki Yamashita, Director of JSPS Bangkok Office
2. Mr. Masaki Sato, Director of Sinpapore Office (JST)
3. Mr. Hiroshi Nakamura, Director of Singapore Office, Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED)
4. Dr. Noor Afiza Mat Razall, Chair JGS 2017, Alumni, Senior Lecturer, Fellow at Cyber Security Center, UPNM
In the Q&A session, many participants including panelists asked questions and commented about the funding programs and higher education policy of both countries and most of participants showed highly interested in it.