On 18-19 February 2020, the JSPS Bangkok Office, National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT), and JSPS Alumni Association of Thailand (JAAT) co-organized an international seminar entitled “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Thailand and Japan.”
You can see the program here.
More than 100 participants attended and lot of networking were raised on each day.
This seminar is an annual event hosted by three above-mentioned organizations in order to encourage many people to learn the latest scientific topic in Thailand and Japan. This year’s main theme was the “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),” which is a global initiative to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity;
In the opening ceremony, the following three speakers delivered opening speeches representing host organizations respectively;
1. Professor Dr. Sirirurg Songsivilai, Executive Director, National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
2. Mr. MASUKO Noriyoshi, Governing Director, JSPS HQs for International Afffairs
3. Professor Dr. Porphant Ouyyanont, President, JSPS Alumni Association of Thailand (JAAT)
4. Mr. KAWAMURA Hiroshi, Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of Japan in Thailand
After the opening ceremony, Prof. Dr. OKI Taikan (Special Advisor to the President, and a Professor at Institute for Future Initiatives, The University of Tokyo) made a keynote presentation entitled “SDGs for Academia in Japan”.
Following Prof. Oki, Associate Prof. Dr. Orasa Suksawang (Chairman, BEBC En SAFE Life Foundation) made a second keynote presentation entitled “Overview of UN SDGs System and a Case of“Two-goal Action for All” Strategy for 17 SDGs in Thailand”.
In the afternoon, session Ⅱ “Exchange Forum on the Contributions of Japanese and
Thai Projects to SDGs” was held and the five specialists made speeches and a panel discussion.
1. Prof. Dr. SHIBATA Akira (Research Institute of Human and Nature (RIHN))
2. Prof. Dr. KANEGAE Hidehiko (School of Policy Science, Ritsumeikan University)
3. Mr. Rangsan Kampiranont (Vice Governor of Nakhon Phanom)
4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Suraphong Lorsomradee (Chiang Mai University)
5. Mr. Phusit Sanesupar (Farmer/Teacher of Mahachai Withayakom School)
In each panelist’s speech, they introduced their past/ongoing activities and the current situation in Thailand.
Next day, on the 19th, the session Ⅲ “Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)” was organized and the four specialists made speeches and a panel discussion.
1. Prof. MASAHISA Sato (Tokyo City University)
2. Associate Prof. IKUTA Hiroko (Kyushu University)
3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Athapol Anuthavorasakul (Faculty of Education Chulalongkorn University)
4. Prof. Dr. Worsak Kanok-Nukulch (Executive Director, Chulalongkorn School of Integrated Innovation (ScII))
We believe that this event could provide enjoyable and fruitful opportunity to learn new knowledge on SDGs and further development in Japan and Thailand.